Wednesday, April 30, 2008

A New Thing

I just got home from work and felt inspired to update:

The 13th of May is my last day on 8MBB/G Ortho-Trauma Surgerical and the 14th of May is my first day on 7MBD/E Thoracic/Vascular Intensive Care Unit.

That means I got the job I interviewed for! I found out last night while I was watching Gaving throw discus, heehee. I am excited, yet it's bittersweet as well. I really love the people I work with and it's hard to leave a place you've been, kinda like the last day of high school, sorta in a way. I don't hate the work, I don't hate anything about, I just want to move on to new things and see what happens. I don't want to work ortho my whole life, so why not get started on something new now. I read a stat once that, on average, a nurse has a new job every 3 years! Obviously some people work places for a bunch of years, but I guess it's 3 on average. I feel like I'm very glad I started where I did. I don't think it gets much more tough than ortho, so I feel like I learned a ton and got SO much experience. That makes it hard to leave too, cuz I actually know what I'm doing now and can help the newer people, but I will eventually know what I'm doing on my new unit, after months of confusion and frustration I'm sure.

So yeh, I'll be in a 3mo. program consisting of mostly classes, there's a lot more to learn now, and will also include time on the floor. I'm leaving my unit so quick, because those classes start mid-May, otherwise I'd have to wait until August, so my awesome nurse manager let me go early. I think I'll be on my new unit learning a bit for a few weeks and then classes start. School all over again. The nurse educator there told me she'll have me make drug cards to memorize! Fun times. I'm excited though. One girl from ortho just moved up there and Tiffany, a friend from WSU nursing just got a job there too, so I know a few faces. I told some people at work today, I don't really like telling them, it makes me sad! But everyone's been so sweet about it. Another bonus, today we got a 2$ raise! S-core.

Welp, that's about it for now, I need to go wash 8 hours of bodily fluids off me, heehee, jk (sorta).

7 comments:

Heather said...

Wahoo! Congratulations my friend! A new adventure will add some excitiment thats for sure. Can't wait to hear how it goes when you start. Oh and woot on the raise, thats always nice. Thanks for the update.

Jackie said...

You'll be an awesome nurse no matter where you work Brie. I hope you share my love of ICU nursing. (It was my very first job) That's the joy of nursing...if you dont like a particular job you just move on to something else. It's gonna be fun and you'll still be close to your other unit so you can pop in and say "hey" when eva you want. Way to go girl...FUN

Cindy's Closet said...

Congrats Bri! I'm so proud of you!

granny said...

Good luck on your new job. Hope it is a lot of fun for you to learn new things in the nursing field.

Anonymous said...

Brianna, Way to go....We always need to keep that challenge out in front of us to keep it interesting...You will do fine...

Brianna said...

thanks guys

Annie said...

heya dearie
congrats again, even though i said so this morning. i am pretty jealous of you moving on, unlike what you said, it don't think i'd have much problem leaving our floor. but yes, 7D/E here you come! you must keep me updated and tell me how you like it!
yay. have a great weekend!