Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Metacarpals, Babies, and Quiznos.

Oh Let's See:

Last Wed: Chris broke his left 4th metacarpal (ring finger bone in the hand) playing basketball. We thought it was perhaps a jam or sprain, but no, it's completely broken in 2. Tomorrow morning we are scheduled 1st case in the St. Mary's cast room with Dr. Shin's service! This is funny cuz I take care of "hand" patients all the time that had a surgery done by Dr. Shin, so it hits close to home. They will take off the splint, re-x-ray and decide to either put on a hard cast for several weeks or operate by pinning the bone together. Apparently the fracture is near the joint and small hand bones, which is why surgery may be necessary. No eating after midnight for Chris! I would feel very shocked if he had to go the OR. And I don't really like the thought of it either! But I know he'll be in good hands. If he did go to the OR it would expected that he would not have general anesthesia and that he would go home right afterwards, which is good! If he has to stay overnight, guess where he'd be....my floor! heehee. I asked him if he would like me to be his nurse and he said yes, heehee, how weird/fun would that be. But let's hope he just goes home, I can take good care of him there too!

I worked Thurs and Fri which was just fine and then Friday night we had the Kid's Hope bowling party. Chris and I supervised/watched 4 girls, including Nyombia, bowl for a few hours and eat pizza too. They were pretty cute and I think they had fun.

Saturday was fun, I mostly just got to hang out with Chris. That night we went to the Newsboys concert! It was a lot of fun. We realized we basically had front row seats, as wonderful as that sounds, it's not wonderful in real life. It's too loud to function, so we moved back to an empty area and it was entirely more enjoyable! We had lots of fun singin' along with em.

Sunday we only had little Addison in Sunday school and we taught her about Jesus walking on water. It was pretty funny, she was scared of Chris' splint and stated, "I don't want to touch it" heehee. Then we ate at the mall of course and I think that was the night we played some games with Ma and Pa :)

Yesterday, Monday, oh what did I do....well I had Kid's Hope, Nyombia was especially non-focused, but it was fun anyway. Then Chris and I worked out and such. We had Dairy Queen and said a quick hello to my fam. Then I watched my fav, John and Kate plus 8. Oh shoot, I just realized I forgot to tape Idol tonight, sad day.

Today: I got to babysit a baby! A friend from work, Erin, brought her little 4mo. boy over to hang out with me for a couple hours while she did some work related things at St. Mary's. We had lots of fun playing with teething rings and a bear, changing diapers, drinking milk, and sleeping, with minimal crying. He smiles so easily and is so cute! My mom came over after a bit to hang out with us, which was fun. It made me realize I'll be very happy to have her around when I have a baby someday (hopefully). Also, Kelsey is due very very soon! 3 weeks! I hope I can be helpful to her as I am learning more and more how difficult it is as first. Luckily she'll have much help from Jeff and both their parents as well. But it's fun that she lives so close so I can go hang with her and da baby. After babysitting was over and I plesantly surprised to get to have lunch with the great Casey Bish! We went to Quiznos and hung out for an hour before I had to come to work. We officially had not seen each other in 1 mo, Hut's wedding. It was great to catch up, I missed her!

I got to work this evening and had to float to neurology for 4 hours. It's a nice unit, it's 2 years old and has the lift system like ours. The patients are a different, but somewhat alike in that they almost all need help getting out of bed in the same way that my patients do. It was nice and the nurses were friendly. Now I'm back up on my unit. I only have 2 patients, one's asleep for the night, so of course, I have 2 hours of boredom left. Bah.

Well I have tomorrow off and will be back in the Mary Brigh building at 7:15 am with Chris and then I work Thurs/Fri evening so it's a nice work week, I don't mind it. Then I think I work Mon/Tues evening and the weekend days. (someone wanted to work my overnights and I was like, um, yes, please do!) This coming weekend is Kelsey's baby shower, so that should be fun!

Welp, I wish I had more to say to pass the time, but I don't, so I'll give ya some updates on Chris when I find out! Adios dear friends.

PS: Anne, you were the inspiration for my blog, I felt the need to update after talking to you, heehee.

5 comments:

granny said...

A very nice book you wrote Brie. I enjoyed it very much. Now if I could have hale the excitment in my life I could write a neat book too.

Heather said...

Wahoo no overnight shift! Thanks for the nice, long update on life. I could have gone with you and Bish as well but Eric and I celebrated 1 month at Olive Garden instead. Babies are cute. You're gonna be a good mommy someday. Ummm...i think there was more I was gonna comment on but I forgot. So...happy day to you!

Jackie said...

Nice..... you gots so much to say. That baby was soooooo cute, it was fun to hang out with you and the little one. You are such a busy girl!!!

Cindy's Closet said...

Wishing Chris all the best and much courage! let us know how it turns out!

Annie said...

glad i could inspire you to update your blog! now i DEFINIELY have to update mine!

so weird/fun to think of Chris as 1st case in the CR for shin sx! haha
not good he has to be there, but interesting to think of someone you know as being the one to be there!

so glad caden is an easy baby to take care of! makes me excited to maybe take care of him tomorrow! welp, better go. shift is gonna end.

p.s. thanks for taking 74B off my hands early!