Sunday, February 08, 2009

Graveyard Shift

Good news, I only have to work Sat overnight and not Sunday! I worked last Wed to make up for this Sun, so someone else is working my Sun overnight, yes! Hey, she asked, so I said YES!

It still seems like the night will never end. It's hard when it's on ly 1am, cuz there's six hours left. Not shockingly, I am floating, wow, I don't think I've EVER worked a full weeked on my own unit, whatever, I don't even care anymore. I actually assumed I would be floating. And to my happiness, I am in the neuro ICU. I love floating here, I always have the best assignments and nothing usually too critical so mostly, I dont' have to worry too much.

In the place of a very critical patient however, is the trade-off for a very needy patient. Needy patients remind me of working on Ortho. I spent from 9:30pm until now, 1am, trying to make her comfy. I have now given enough drugs to zonk her out a bit. I shouldn't speak too soon though, she's only been quiet for like 20 mintues. Basically as long as she's awake, so will be the resident, because I will be having to call him repeatedly. He'll figure it out soon enought that he needs to give me more drugs if this doesn't work! I spose it's better to give "baby" doses of everything then give too much.... Anyhoo, I'm hoping for her sake and my sanity, that she sleeps at least some of the night. Shoot, she just turned her head. Sleeeeeep sleeeeeeepppppp.

I am going on break at 2am. I am glad to do it, but I always feel so gross after eating in the night. I forbid myself popcorn, it tastes so good, but it feels so bad in the tummy afterwards. It's so werid, they serve regular food in the middle of the night, so my choices will be like hambergers/chicken/pizza/fries/cheese curds/motzarella sticks and then like vegetables of all sorts. Nice huh...nothing like fried food at 2am. Maybe I'll have mashed potatoes.

Today was fun. Mom and Dad were due to pick Chris and I up at 12:30 so we could go to lunch at Erb's (they volunteered to pick us up). Insted they showed up at noon with our chair! They bought us a glider chair, a very lovely and nice quality one, for the baby's room, for rocking/feeding her and such! We picked it out a few weeks ago and I'm so excited it's here! It looks very nice in the bedroom next to the crib, I'll have to put the pictures up soon. It is so comfy. I feel like I'll fall asleep in it. Thanks Ma and Pa! Then we ate and Chris and I went to an open house for fun, it was cute and pretty. Then we went over to my parent's house for a while. I helped Mom put away Brice's "Christmas village" that has been up in his room for like 4 years. It's about 12 or so houses and little figurines that he collected and set up. It included tons of fake snow and about a million light cords to unravel and dust. Now you can see the shelves in there again!

Soon I had to leave for work, sad day, Chris drove me through the drive-thru at Wendy's and soon I was off to work. Chris and Dad went to the JM/Century b-ball game, so hopefully they had fun.

Well, she's officially awake and moaning again, I shal go see what I can do....poor lady.

Goodnight and I hope you are all sleeping!

4 comments:

granny said...

Tape her eyes shut and get acd with someone singing lulaby's all night. See if that works.

Jackie said...

I cant stand Neuro ICU...worked there 2 L-O-N-G yrs. Glad it suits you well. Sleep tight.

ps you could have told that lady stories all night hee hee

Brianna said...

tape her eyes shut, nice, hahah!

Moosekahl said...

What? Our old ortho patients were needy? Never! HA! I don't miss having inpatients at all. The most we have are one or two night stays for fracture patients. It rocks!

How did you change your blog background? I like it!