Sunday, December 28, 2008

Christmas and Such

So, I'm working the OVERNIGHTS, yep it's that time again, and as a bonus...I'm floating. This seems to be a weekend pattern, floating that is. I'm starting to think I'm part of the float pool (the nurses who are specifically here to float). I was dreading this very very much, it's so sick and wrong to leave for work at 7p, it's actually worse than leaving at 7a.
I got to work and saw that I was floating, to the MICU, the dreaded medical unit, the place I went 3 Saturdays ago and had the worst shift ever. Well wouldn't ya know, I got the exact same room with a patient with pretty much the exact same problems, no blood pressure to speak of and delerium! Yes! So, I ended up getting to leave there at 11pm, but for the four hours I was there, all I did was push fluids and call the doctors every 2 seconds.
Then, at 11p, they switched me to the neurology ICU, the only ICU I hadn't been yet. It's about 3am now and so far so good! Everyone's nice and I have 2 moderately easy patients. I just had an hour break and now I have 4 hours left. I hope they go really really fast!
Well, Christmas has come and gone. It was a weird Christmas because my mom and dad were sick and couldn't partake in any of the activities. It was sad not to have them at the grandparent's houses, but I was glad they were at least home together.
Christmas Eve was at Gran H.'s. First we went to church, which was nice, then we had din and hung around and then opened some presents. It was like every other year, but that's how I like it! We watched a lil' bit of A Christmas Story, which is necessary, and us "adults" did a new thing, we bought gift cards instead of presents and played a game were we could trade/steal them from each other. I ended up with Target! Yay!
Christmas morning was the bestest. Chris and I got up around 8a and had breakfast together, him cereal, of course, and me waffles! Then we gave each other a few things. I got a new purse and a movie! I love both! Chris and I also some of our budgeted Christmas money to buy special gifts for people through World Vision, the company we sponsor our "child" through. We figured they needed things more than we did. They got some chickens and clean water, fun fun. Then, at our own risk, we went to Mom and Dad's and just tried not to touch them too much, ahah, they both had that nasty norovirus (Gavin did too!) It was so fun trading presents with everyone. It's always fun to see what my brothers come up with. I got a camera!!! from Mom and Dad and an ipod car charger from Brice and Gavin. Audrey also got spoiled with things from everyone, she's gonna be a lucky lil' baby.
After a bit we, minus Mom and Dad, ventured to Gran E.'s. We arrived as everyone was lining up to eat. The food was awesome as always and it was fun to catch up with the cities cuzzins who I dont' see as much. We did the stockings/presents and we got lots of fun things! Audrey again, was spoiled. It'll be interesting to see what happens once she's actually born :) We stayed until after supper then brought Mom and Dad back their presents. And then went home and went to bed! It was an awesome day.
The evening of the 26th, Chris and I drove to Austin to hang with the other side of the family. Linda, Angie, Katie, and Laura seemed pretty glad with what we got them and we also liked what they got us! It was fun watching the annual wrestling matches between Chris and his sisters. Katie (26) has lost a ton of weight, so now Chris can throw her around, it's pretty funny to watch. We all went over to Culvers for a while and had icecream. It was a fun night :)
Yesterday, I slept in until 11am to prepare the best I could for the overnight. Chris and I went to Tinn's and my family showed up too! Later Mom and I went up to visit the Dietzman's. Cara's home! I was so excited to see her, it had been since August! I missed her a lot. We did the present thing and then I played Wii for the first time. They have had it for a while, but just got the Wii fit, so Cara and I did a dancing game and a skiing game, it was so cool. Since I am such a slug now, the dancing game actually was a slight workout, haha.
Before I knew it, I had to come here and work, sigh. I don't know where I'm meant to work, but I hope I figure it out sooner than later, I think I need to do something away from the "bedside" like at the clinic or something. I dunno.
Audrey is having a kicking frenzy right now. She's probably confused as to why I'm moving around and eating in the middle of the night. Now I got her all hyper. Chris and I continually amazed at the fact that we'll have a baby girl in 4 months. It's becoming more real as I'm sticking out so much now. I need to do my registry soon and start getting the room ready! I have lots of time left though, but I'm assuming it gets harder to move once I get bigger. I'm officially 23 weeks and 3 days now. I have felt her twice now with my hand, but not enough to have anyone else feel, but soon maybe! I feel her all the time inside though which is really cool. My Mayo book says that she can "feel" now, so she'll be likely to just be touching whatever she can, hahah, makes me laugh. She has taste buds now too. Oh sweet, I totally just felt a really strong kick in the middle of my belly with my hand, ahhh, it's the strongest she's ever been. I wish Chris were here right now cuz I'm pretty sure he could feel it. Oh fun.
Ok, I better end this. 3.5 hours left! Hurry!
Maybe I'll add some pics now, stolen from Mom's blog...
Christmas Eve
The Hemmer Grandchildren...

Christmas morning stockings
Mommy and Papa. He is very excited about something!
I have some from Gran E.'s on my home computer, so I'll have to add those later.
Adios!
PS: For some really obnoxious reason, my blog won't let me have spaces between my paragraphs, sorry, it looks really hard to read.

3 comments:

granny said...

Brie I liked your blog very muches. I don't think they should run you all over the place at work.It's not nice to mess with a mother to be. The bums. Sleep good today.

Jackie said...

Stupid floating....Grrrrr

One more night, hopefully in your own unit. YIP

Heather said...

Hey sweet Eric got me a purse too! Hope you are sleeping right now!