Thursday, December 27, 2007

Welcome to Mary Brigh 8BG

Well, my life on Alfred/Joseph is no more. Today is the official beginning of ortho trauma on 8MBBG. I came at 3:30 and I could tell the day crew had quite the day, pretty stressful and chaotic. Some nurses had moved 1/2 their patients up here, but still had some downstairs, don't ask me how that works. Things are semi-organized. Over the period of the 6 hours I've been here I've tried to memorize where things are, but honestly I'm very slow and confused at finding what I need. Hopefully the patients are not to bothered by the fact that I cannot find anything promptly. The unit is HUGE! My very first room is one of our 5 double rooms, 8-574A and B. It's in a corner and I have this giant computer and desk all to myself. There is sooooo much space, it's huge, the hallway is so huge! It's awesome. The rooms are huge and beautiful. We have a view of Rochester out our windows which is pretty sweet, there are vital sign machines in each room, there's room to move in any direction, the bathrooms are huge I can use the lift to lift people myself, there are like 10X more drawer/storage spaces everywhere, and so on and so on. But I do feel far from everyone, usually we're all charting by each other, but I cannot see anyone right now!!! Pod B was closed and we filled up pod G, but now there are 4 people in pod B. I believe we have 32 beds total. Which is pretty close to what we had before. I think there are 22 patients right now, so we're not full. Pod G is bigger because it's got a little extra chunk to it. Each pod is shaped like a horseshoe, so wherever you sit, you can pretty much see everyroom, which is such an improvement. The lockerroom/breakrooms are nice and there are so many more bathrooms for us and for families. The family lounge is awesome too! One thing I love is that the family members have their own couch in each room, so they're out of the way and they can sleep there too! Things are a little confusing up here, especially for the charge nurses, but everyone's doing pretty good. I already feel more aquainted then I did 6 hours ago. There are so many storage rooms, it'll take a while to remember what is in what. I'm sure they'll get around to labeling them eventually. It's fun to see people come up here and be like "wow, it's huge" We had an IV tech come up here and she was like, "why have I never been up here before" and I was like, well it's our first day, and she starting laughing and said, "oh that explains it".

Well, I think I'll go do a couple last things. I'll update about Christmas later.
But the feeling is is that I love our new unit, love it! And cannot wait for it to get all in order and organized, it'll be even better!

5 comments:

Jackie said...

yeah for the update on your new unit. It was fun seeing it first hand yesterday. You guys are soooo spoiled. Hopefully things will be much easier and simplified for the hard working nurses. Cant wait to hear more specifics.

granny said...

Brianna is the new unit HUGE? Have fun finding thingys.

Christoph's Czarbach said...

I loved the new unit :) I think it's pretty sweet, holla!

Heather said...

Thanks for the blog, I couldnt fall asleep until 1:30 this morning and enjoyed reading your blog! Sounds like you're gonna enjoy all the new contraptions, I bet you can't wait to go back to work everyday! hehe. See you soon friend!

Megan said...

i'm glad you had a good time. much like haaaaayther, i was woken up at midnight and didn't really fall into a decent sleep until maybe 3:30am...so, i understand how important blogs can be at that time of night/morning. anyway...glad you likey. <3