Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Weekend At St. Mary's

I have not much to say that is exciting, just that I worked Fri, Sat, and now Sun (2 hours left!). I am glad to be done in 2 hours, but I'm having trouble with the fact that I only get 2 days off, then work 3, then get 2 off, then work 4. It's lame, usually I get 3 days off inbetween longer stretches of work! Oh well, obviously I'll live, but 2 days doesn't quite cut it in my book.

Friday I worked a day shift and it was pleasant. Saturday I floated to the Trauma ICU, I like it there. I get a "laid back" vibe when I'm there and also the nurses are very helpful and not all stressed to the max like the dreaded medical unit. I discovered early that morning that the Trama nurses do a lil' something called "morning break". And it's not just, "take a 10 mintue coffee break" no, it's "take a whole 1/2 hour" in addition to the hour lunch break. No one else does this, at least not to my knowledge. I was like, "sweet!" So, after working only 1 hour, I got a 1/2 break. I traveled my way down to the cafeteria and got breakfast (which I had not had at home).

Today, miraculously, I am on my own unit, even though 1/2 our unit is closed. I have one patient, intubated, confused, antsy, draining all over the bed, poopy, climbig outta bed just how I like 'em (sighing and looking for a new job on the job listings). I was all ready to be like "Ok dudes (the doctors) we're not going to have a whole day of this jumping outta bed business, what're ya gonna do about it?! However, they were on the ball and we got the poor soul some magic pills so he could rest adequately.

I love our doctors, I really do. Anesthesiologists are great (our docs), the doctors on Trauma yesterday were like, "hmm, let's take all day long (12 hours) to make decisions" I asked them 4 times for something other than tylenol to give my patient, this was after the previous nurse asked them several times. Each time I was adament and each time I charted that I asked them for it! "Doctor's aware that tylenol isn't working" "Doctors informed again about pain issues" "Doctors know patient is in severe pain and are choosing to do nothing" haha, ok, not quite like that, but that's how it felt to me! It's easier to be the one who just has to listen to problems, it's much harder to be the one in the room with the patient and family members all day!!! Ok, enough of that, they're not too bad, but jeesh, c'mon, let's make some progress!

So, I'm excited to be done with work, Chris told me we're havin' supper with my parents, fun! I walked to McD on my break today, cuz I forgot my lunch in the car. Chris surprised me by driving up by me while I was walking back, while I was on the phone with him, heehee, so I saw him for a few mins.

Nothing else much new to say I suppose. I'm waiting for Target to get their crib shipment, then I can go get the crib! Eventually I will do my registry too. In the meantime, I'm trying to research the best things to buy! Well I know what to get, just not what types, there's so much out there!

OK, have a nice week and enjoy this summer-like day! 20's!

6 comments:

Jackie said...

Oh the dilema's of Work. I guess we have job security that's a good thing right. I think you should come work with me...wouldnt that be fun, I would love that.

Christoph's Czarbach said...

I need more quotation marks.

Anonymous said...

I cannot believe you are not registered yet. I was dying to register when I was pregnant- it's so fun! Get out there NOW woman! hehehe. I need to know what to get Audrey!

Brianna said...

I want to register, but i'm waiting on Target! and I've been trying to figure out what to register for, i take a long time to make decisions

Heather said...

Do it now! (Arnold voice) Registries are fun, you can scan whateva you want!

I think you should become a substitute teacher like me...you don't need a teaching license just a 4 year degree! Woot! No more waiting on doctors, instead you give homework muauaahaha. (apparently I enjoy the power too much.)

Heather said...

Oh and you can work when ever you want! You can choose not to work or to work everyday!