Monday, July 03, 2006

I heart orientation.

I know I need to update, but I keep putting it off. So, I'm behind now....

Okay well let's start with the nursing info.
I am in the midst of my second week of orientation. These first two weeks are just a lot of speakers and computer training. All the new nurses are together and we made one trip individually to our respective floors to meet our nursing preceptors. Mine preceptor's name is Erin and she is very nice, so that's good.

I had to do a lot of weird things last week, like choose a health insurance plan, designate Christopher Lewis as my beneficiary, plan for retirement, and realize I now have life insurance and lemme tell you, I am worth a whole lot, hahaaha. (just bein' silly)

It's been a long process, I feel like last week was as long as two weeks, we're getting very tired of these long 8 hours day. But we remind ourselves we're getting paid to listen to speakers, and then it doesn't seem so bad.

I am very impressed with the Mayo Clinic. It's beautiful for one thing. It's extremely well organized. It feels good to work somewhere were I know there are tons of people who really know what's goin' on. The place is amazing. They also treat us new peeps like roalty practically. I feel very welcome and happy to be working there. I have not met a single un-kind or even slightly rude employee in the whole place at any time I have been there. There was even a "Welcome Brianna Hemmer RN" sign up on my floor!

I have to park at Walmart and ride a shuttle to St. Mary's. It takes a lot of senority to actually get to park anywhere downtown, but I don't mind, it probably even saves me time this way. I feel so weird walking around downtown in my navy blue scrubs. I don't feel like I'm "one of them", but I guess I am. I'll get used to it in a few years, heehee.

I am starting to not feel so incredibly lost. One of the first days we got a bus tour downtown and by St. Mary's. It was kind of funny, a tour, in the town I've spent my whole life in, but I gotta tell ya I felt like a tourist. The area by the clinic is still confusing to me, but not as much.

I met a girl in my orientation that is starting on the same floor as me, her name is Anne and she is also very nice. I'm glad to be starting on the floor (next week!) with someone else who is new. I have my very own locker and mailbox, cool huh. I also have a badge and a name card swipey thingy that lets me in places here and there.

Hmm..well, I shall tell you more later I suppose, I don't wanna make this too long.

Aside from nuring, I went to the Minnesota Zoo with Chris and two of his sisters, Katie (24) and Laura (10). It was a lot of fun, I love zoos. It was crazy to see girrafes and animals like that that you don't ever see around here, obviously. We skipped the "farm" portion of the zoo. Seeing chickens, cows, and horses just wasn't very thrilling, heehee.

I also went to some movies, such as "Click" with Brita, "The Devil Wears Prada" with my mama, and something else too, with Cara, I just can't remember what...hmmm...well anyhoo, I've done some other things too, but I can't remember.

Now I am enjoying that fact that tomorrow is the 4th and I dont' have to work, YES! It's my holiday off, heehee. So, I will be at Gran's, with my lovely family and then we shall see the fireworks!!!

Love you all!
Comment!!!!!!!!!

Love, Brianna

PS: If you didn't get the email for some reason, my new email is: briemarie14@gmail.com
I won't be using my Winona State address anymore :(

5 comments:

Karoline said...

Sounds exciting! I'm all too familiar with that area...the perks of getting very sick in highschool. I feel like I've spent half my life there. Oh well, I'm glad you're having fun? Or at least making money, and that you're excited about the floor!

granny said...

Way to go Brie. Good luck. The time will fly now your a working girl.

Anonymous said...

You're such a little carreer girl now, all fancy and everything. Tooling around in your scrubs like some big hot shot. Be glad you can go outside with your scrubs on, we would be slashed off the face of the earth if caught outside in our scrubs (I've done it )

Brianna said...

LOL mom, yep, you fancy OR nurses have to stay inside or you will infect everyone!!! muahaha.

Christoph's Czarbach said...

sweet update babe :) you think I'm looking at wrestling websites right now, hehe, love you