Monday, March 23, 2009

Overnight Two of Two

Well at least it's the 2nd night so I can say it's over after this! It's 3:25, which means I have 3 hours and 35 minutes until the next nurse gets here. Then I have to give report to them, which will most likely take until 7:30. So, I'll be in my bed in about 4.5 hours. Hurry up!

I am very very sleepy! Tonight I have 2 totally different patients. Since I floated on Fri, I've managed to stay on my own unit for 2 shifts in a row! My peeps are sleeping through the night, which is very rare and odd. It's also a little unsettling, I'm not used to being out of their rooms for so long. So I sit here by the monitor and make sure they're doing well and peek in on them every hour at least.

I just got back from break. I had a little salad and a 100 cal pack and regular Sierra Mist and I read my book. Now I am covering for another nurse's break. His patient is not as stable as mine, so I'm keeping a close eye!

Today (well yesterday, Sunday) was fun. I went to bed right when I got home around 8:00a and slept until 1:30p. I just woke up and couldn't sleep no longer. Chris had just gotten home from chruch. So we just hung out, loungin on the couch. Oh yeh, we went on a walk, it was so pleasent outside! I loved it! I sorta felt like I got exercise, haha. Then around 5:00p we headed out to chuch for Dora's "Send me to the Czech" fundraiser spaghetti supper. It was so yummy! There was salad and garlic bread and little desserts too. Lots of peeps showed up, I hope she got a lot of donations! We sat with my parents and Brad and Julie, it was fun to hang out a while before work. Then I had to head out to 'the Mayo' and here I am.

I was hit hard when I got here, my patients were super busy at first complete with the overbearing family memebers. As one family member left, very reluctantly, at midnight, he made a great detailed speech about the location of the patient's water cup and how she may not be able to reach it and how I just might have to peek on her every so often and see if she needs water. I politely told him that I would be checking on her regardless and that I would certainly help her. As soon as he left, the patient was finally able to rest and has been sleeping pretty soundly since! The family member called me as soon as he got home to see how she was doing..... she's sleeping sir. Hahah, oh dear. It's hard to have patience, but I would certainly be concerned about any family member of mine.

When I was on break, Audrey was kicking like crazy, like a maniac, it made me laugh. I think she's confused as to why I'm awake. Heehee.

Welp, it's about time for 4:00 assessments and some meds and I think I hear an IV pump beeping. See y'alls later!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Good thing we have family memebers to tell us to be sure and check on the patients....Yikes, otherwise you might have forgotten, hee hee

granny said...

The next time tell him to leave so you can check on his family member. That will get him.

Heather said...

I think Audrey is kicking you cause she's trying to sleep and you keep moving around in the middle of the night!