Wednesday, April 11, 2007

I need some hobbies.

I think I'm blogging a little too much lately, but oh well, here's another one for your reading pleasure.

I worked yesterday and today, however, today I got out early! Yay! How fun. Michelle, my charge nurse came up to me and said, "you wanna EA?" (excused absense) and I was like, "yeh!" The cool thing about EAs is that you can just simply sign up for them and if the floor and the hospital as a whole does not need you based on patient numbers, then you just may get to leave. But the other cool part is that I can leave and still get paid, by using my PTO (paid time off). Yes, it is good to save PTO for vacations and such, but it's also a fun lil' treat to use just a few hours of it every now and then to leave work and not feel guilty.

I felt good about today though. It's crazy what you can get done in 4 hours. I organized two patients discharges. I decided that I am an investigator. Sometimes I get random patient requests or I have to plan something and I don't know where to start. Today I needed something for a patient and I didn't know who to call first, so I tried someone. They thought I was a nut and directed me to another phone number, they thought I was a nut too. Finally, I called a number with someone on the end who knew what I was talking about!!! In the end, my patient will get what they wanted! Yip yip!

Then later I had to organize someone going to the airport. That was kinda fun. I called different places and got quotes for the cost of the rides and the patients chose one and then I called them back and on and on. So now it's set and then fly outta here (to Southern Europe!).

Sometimes I'm just on the phone all day, callin' doctors, pharmacy, transportation people, nursing homes, family members (or they call me repeatedly), physical therapy, occupational therapy, infusion therapy, pain service, medical service, discharge planning, urology, respiratory, IV techs, lab techs, home health care, infectious disease, social services, and on and on. Oofdah, it's all fun though, when it's not chaotic, oh wait, it usually is chaotic, hahah, oh well.

I am thankful however, for my hospital, there are so many people to help out. People say that being a nurse at St. Mary's means you dont' do IVs, or catheters, etc. which sometimes I'd like to do, but it gives me the extra time I need to do all the other stuff!!!

Today I had 3 calls from family members for one patient, sometimes that is frustrating, because they really like to tell me their life stories. Okay, not that much, but still, c'mon, I'm trying to take care of your loved one, which I cannot do when I'm talking to her daughter-in-law all afternoon on the phone! Hahah, I know, it's important though, because if my mom was in the hospital, I'd be calling too, but I'd keep it brief, ehheheh.

Today after work I went to Wendys with 2 great men I know....my husband and my papa! Chris is a regular now down at the Rec Center, playing basketball Mon, Wed, Fri with a group of guys that have been doing the same for 25 years (like my dad!) So, sometimes they go to Wendy's after playing and on occasion I get invited along! Dad gives me a hard time, like I'm steppin' in on their guy time, but whatev, he knows he likes me there!

Chris is working, so I must say I'm a little bored. It's hard sometimes when I'm not working to find things to do. I really don't have any friends in town in my situation. Most of my friends are elsewhere, the citites, Winona, and Cinncinnatti! The few that are here are in school and are busy!!!! I'm not so busy anymore. It seems like a good thing (I know what you're thinking peeps like Hut and Bish), but sometimes it's not so good, it's BORING!!! So, I'm really looking forward to my friends coming home and for volleyball to start!

That's right folks, I'm joining my work volleyball team. Someone asked me if I wanted to and I was like, um... "YES!" I love volleyball. I'm not one to join things because I'm not overly social, but when it comes to something I love, I will do it! I need to find hobbies, I need to work out more and be motivated to do things like scrapbook and such, but ugh, I dunno, I'm not very motivated!

Well, Heather is coming to play with me tomorrow, so I am thrilled to be in the prescence of a girl my age who I love to hang out with!!! Apparently she is "interviewing" me for a project. I will be interviewed as a nurse. I hope she doesn't ask hard questions, uh no, I'm nervous!!! What am I gonna wear! Ms. Tlougan is intimidating!!!!!!! Ahhhh!!!!!!! Maybe she'll ask me if I have to deal with difficult patients, hahhahah, I have a book of stories for ya! Whooppp!

Tonight I watched America's Next Top Model and American Idol. Haley was voted off and that's who I would have picked to vote off, so la de dah. I haven't really faithfullly watched American Idol since like the 2nd season when I lived at home, because school's kept me too busy. But, yeh, now, I can.

One exciting thing for me is that I'm reading a book for fun. I used to be a read-a-holic. Especially in elementary school and middle school. But ever since college I have not been reading much, for fun (well, aside from Harry Potter, but that's must). So, I went to the Christian book store and got a book that looked good, and it is! So that's cool.

Mmmkay, better go, I'm sure many won't read this due to it's length, but if you made it this far, good job, I appreciate it, hehehe.

See ya...

6 comments:

granny said...

Brianna your new hobby could be come see your granny and we could play scrabble on the puter. I am very bored sometimes too.

Anonymous said...

hehehe. I read your blog in it's entirety! I'm glad you at least have some down-time to do fun things if you wanted to. I'm sorry I can't play with you often. I hope all is well, and Thanks for seeing me today!

Megan said...

Brie,
Gran is right, you could go to her house...or you could learn how to knit, or have Gran teach you how to cross-stitch. You could get a puppy and take him for walks...(thought i wouldn't recommend a PUPPY...maybe a dog from the shelter..hehe) Or you could finally pick up your scrapbooks and work with those. you'll think of something.

i miss you! wish we were closer!
MUAH
cuzzinship

Anonymous said...

I LOVED your Blog Brie. Very informative and funny. I think someday when You have different jobs in the nursing profession, you will look back and be gratful that you started out on a very difficult floor (Ortho) You are learning so much Organization and problem solving which is a HUGH thing (as you're finding out) I'm just so proud of you, and how you handle many difficult situations, and doesnt it feel good to go home after a long day and know you done good.
Now get fired up for your weekend of work coming up....YipYip

Heather said...

Yay I got to play at Brianna's house today!! Thanks for letting me interview you, I hope I didnt stress you out too much. You did a great job of answering the questions. Although...if we do bad on the assignment we can always blame you. Hhaha jk. Once school is done I'll hopefully have more time to play. Once student teaching starts though.. yeah i might become a hermit. See you tomorrow!!

Cheri said...

Nice blog Brie!
If you are ever bored on a Thursday night you can always bring your scrapbookin' over and join us ladies!
And...I'm usually home most evenings, I'd love to scrapbook with ya, or walk, or shop, or whatever...call me!
Soon Cara will be home! Hooray!